The view got this much better in 3 minutes.
Real People: Fatigue Pants
Of course, we all read Put This On, so all of our pants are perfectly tailored: Fitted in the waist, slim through the thigh, draping elegantly down our calves to end in an ideal break over our frankly breathtaking (hand-welted) shoes. But when I need a break from worrying about breaks, it can be comforting to pull on a pair of pants designed for utility. Military-style, olive drab fatigue pants are probably not the most often re-purposed surplus gear (M-65s take that prize), but they are exceedingly wearable. They’re an interesting alternative to plain cotton khakis (also military derived) for wear with plaid shirts and worn-in shoes, like Daiki Suzuki of Engineered Garments, and can even be reasonably swapped in for more formal trousers if you’re in a position to be a little subversive, like Gary Drinkwater, pictured in his shop in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Gary’s colors are neutral and well-balanced, and he looks relaxed rather than sloppy, which can be a concern with fatigues, especially surplus versions.
Such pants can be found vintage in a number of models: pants from the OG-107 U.S. military work uniform (standard issue for the second half of the 20th century; OG-107 really designates the color, olive gray); M-1951 cargo pants; or more recent Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) trousers. They are best purchased in person because the sizing varied over the years and many if not most pants were altered after issuance, so actual measurements may not match tagged sizes. Although fatigues can sometimes be tailored to fit trimly, the bagginess is in my opinion the interesting aspect and on its own is “different” enough—pinrolling can help narrow them at the ankle. Camouflage patterns are best left to the military or utility purposes around the house, like yardwork.
Gary’s pants were purchased new, from Engineered Garments sub-brand Workaday (I have a pair from Workaday myself, as well as a couple of vintage pairs). Daiki Suzuki has offered a pair in his collection nearly every season for years, but they vary in fabric and cut—some are trimmer than others, and spring/summer versions are lighter weight. They’re currently available at Engineered Garments stockists like Drinkwaters or Mohawk General Store.
“This the craziest shit in the club since ‘In Da Club’”
Here are our hand-selected favorites from eBay for this week, plus heads-up on recommended sales. If you’re a member of the Inside Track, click through, and log in with your Member.ly username and password. If you’re not a member, you can join now for just $ 5 a month – you’ll get access to one of these members-only lists every week, and your membership supports Put This On.
See the rest →
Why Join the Put This On Inside Track?
Every week, we post free eBay roundups on Put This On. Tons of folks tell us they’ve saved them money and time. People love them. We do, too.
The Put This On Inside Track is a members-only service we provide here at PTO for a buck a week. It features not only a big old eBay roundup that’s exclusive to members, but also a roundup of all the great sales in mensweardom. At peak sales times, that’s literally dozens of great sales.
Why subscribe? The service pays for itself, fast.
Start with the sales. Take one shopping trip to, say Sierra Trading Post with one of our coupon codes, and you could save fifty or a hundred bucks. Easy.
And the eBay roundups? We’ve got 270,000 Tumblr followers and well over half a million monthly visitors to our website. So if you’re relying on our free roundups, you’ve got a few hundred thousand competitors for the great items we pick. If you’re in Inside Track subscriber, cut that number by 99.9%. And as with the sales – buy one thing in a year, and you can easily save more than you spend on membership.
And don’t forget: your membership also supports all the great editorial content you love here at Put This On. You even get ten percent off our pocket squares.
Joining is easy. Just click here now and start saving.
I guess that’s the answer.. No riding this AM.. (at McDonald’s 麥當勞)
Jesse has a bunch of auctions ending this Sunday. If nothing he has or what you see below interests you, try using our customized search links to find more items on eBay. We have them for high-end suits, good suits, high-quality shirts and fine footwear.
- Navy blazer, 38
- Golden tan checked sport coat, 40
- Blue double breasted blazer, 41L
- Ralph Lauren grey double breasted suit, 41L
- Paul Stuart grey suit, 42
- Swaine Adeney checked sport coat, 42
- Navy herringbone suit, 42L
- Grey striped suit, 42L
- Covert cloth suit, 42L
- Andover blazer, 42L
- Chester Barrie houndstooth check sport coat, 46L
- Ma.Strum officer jacket, S
- Engineered Garments parka, S
- Safari jacket, 40
- Cordings insulated vest, M
- Quilted coat, 44
- Aero leather jacket, 44
- Cordings field jacket, XL
- Baseball jacket, XXL
- Sulka trench, 48
- Cream turtleneck, S
- Sunspel sweatshirt, M
- Dana Lee waffle knit cardigan, M
- Buzz Rickson grey sweatshirt, L
- Ralph Lauren tennis sweater, L
- Black/ white birdseye knit sweater, L
- Black Fleece striped rugby, XL
- Brown shawl collar cardigan, XL
- Cream cardigan, XL
- Bunch of Alan Flusser shirts, various sizes
- Blue Borrelli shirt, 15.5
- Holland & Holland checked shirt, 16
- Rag & Bone denim shirt, M
- Sugar Cane red plaid shirt, M
- Cucinelli blue button down shirt, 16.5
- Barba white shirt, 16.5
- White Turnbull & Asser shirt, 16.5
- Holland & Holland checked shirt, L
- Ralph Lauren cargo pants, 33
- Nigel Cabourn green pants, 34
- Cucinelli grey pants, 36
- Charcoal pants, 38
- LVC jeans, 38
- Seavees grey sneakers, 8 (women’s)
- Paraboot split toe shoes, 10.5
- Grenson brown crepe soled chukkas, 12
- Alfred Sargent brown suede derbys, 12
- Grenson brown suede derbys, 12
- Saddle shoes, 13
- Blue medallion tie
- Blue Marinella foulard
- Yellow grenadine
- Pale pink grenadine
- Striped green wool tie
- Bunch of vintage knit ties
- Tom Ford red grenadine tie
- Red Charvet tie
- Dotted Sulka tie
- Holliday & Brown floral tie
- Lot of Ben Silver ties
- Hermes floral tie
- Red houndstooth tie
- Striped bow tie
- Red basketweave tie
- Striped Sulka tie
- Turnbull & Asser grey mock grenadine
- Silver satin tie
- Drake’s floral tie
- Holliday & Brown blue foulard
- Sulka hatchgrain tie
- Goyard briefcase
- White canvas bag
- Dunhill wallets (black, brown)
- Crocodile wallet
- Red paisley braces
- Silver campaign set
- Beau Brummel poster
- Drake’s tiger pocket square
- Drake’s yellow pocket square
- Blue pocket square with bunnies (pictured above)
- Green pocket square with stags (pictured above)
- Elegance by Bruce Boyer
- Steak knife and fork set
- Shell box
- BillyKirk bracelet
- Dobbs brown fedora, 7 1/2
- Red dressing gown, XL
If you want access to an extra roundup every week, exclusive to members, join Put This On’s Inside Track for just five bucks a month.
Suedes, braids, and knits. This summer, let your textures do the talking.
This history of the wetsuit at Collector’s Weekly